Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Baking Week: Chocolate Mint Dreams


These are a new cookie for me this year, and one that I have been dying to try. I got my hands on some peppermint extract early on in the baking season, and finally gave them a go.

Chocolate Mint Dreams are a bit labor intensive. You have to first bake, then ice, and then drizzle these bad boys (lazy baker that I am, I haven't drizzled them yet!) In years past I made a smiliar cookie; a Chocolate Mocha Pretzel, which was dipped in chocolate and then drizzled once dry. This is the first Christmas of 'replacing' them with a similar, yet fairly different cookie. I think I like these better!

Chocolate Mint Dreams
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Icing
2 tablespoons butter; softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon milk
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
1 to 2 drops green food coloring

Drizzle
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ teaspoon shortening

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in chocolate and mint extract. Gradually add flour. Stir in chocolate chips (dough will be soft).

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients; spread over cooled cookies. Let set. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

Yields 4 ½ dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment