Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Baking Week: Holiday Gumdrop Cookies


These are a first for me, this year. Even though Riley probably couldn't even chew one of these, I felt like it was finally appropriate to make this fun little cookie. Chopping the gumdrops isn't the most fun in the world, but it got done, and the cookies got baked and taste tested.

I can't stand on baking and cooking websites when a reviewer says, "This is great, but I added this this this and this and didn't do this that or that." Aka, we made it a totally different recipe. That being said...I omitted walnuts. I don't like nuts in cookies. I also subbed margarine for shortening. Shoot me. ;)

Holiday Gumdrop Cookies
1 ½ cups spice gumdrops
¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
½ cup golden raisins
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
½ cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
¼ cup buttermilk
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Cut gumdrops into small pieces, reserving black ones (if included) Place gumdrops in a bowl. Add walnuts, raisins, and ¼ cup flour; toss to coat. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg; beat in buttermilk. Combine baking soda, salt, and remaining flour; stir into creamed mixture. Add gumdrop mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack. Yield about 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment