Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Recipe Week: Lemon Ginger Cookies

This week is going to be a baking blitz for me. I have a list of over a dozen types of cookies that need to be made, baked, iced, and shared amongst friends, family, and coworkers. The culmination of this baking week is La Buche de Noel, prepared on Christmas Day (or maybe Christmas Eve this year, as I am off!) I thought that maybe as a much needed reward/break might be sharing a few of my favorite recipes on here, in case anyone wants a new or different take on a recipe to try this holiday season.

To start I'd like to highlight one of my newer recipe finds; lemon ginger cookies. These cookies have a terrific flavor and are not too sweet. They do well served with tea or without, and are REALLY easy to make. I have four baking pans, and since the recipe only makes two dozen, I was already cleaning up while the first sheet was baking (perfect for marathon baking! My next type of cookie was mixed before they were done!)

I will always post a photo or two of the recipe results. I always prefer to see what a cookie or cake looks like before attempting it!


Soft Lemon-Ginger Cookies

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons sour cream
½ teaspoon lemon extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon salf

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in the egg, sour cream and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, ginger and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks. Yields 2 dozen.

Look for tomorrow's post a bit earlier than this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment